Don’t forget to Pin This for later!
One of the biggest reasons moms continue to work outside the home even though they feel God calling them to stay home is money. Maybe God wants you to just step out in faith and become a stay at home mom and watch Him fill the financial gaps. Here’s a little about my story and what God has done in our lives! I hope this brings you the encouragement you need.
Do You Have Faith to Become A Stay At Home Mom?
Is God calling you to do something scary such as quit your job? If you felt God stirring in your heart to go be a missionary in Africa, you would be scared to death but I bet you would seek wise council and then get the ball rolling for you to go. At least, that would be me. Maybe it’s cause of the lure of adventure? But, when God calls us to give up something that is providing food, clothing, and shelter, well, then it becomes a little scarier.
I understand this one. My spiritual gift is faith, yet I still have my days where I have doubt, “Is God really going to provide?”
When God called me to change my blog, I tried to hide…for months! I was scared to death..scared of the hate mail I would receive, scared of people’s comments, scared to put myself out there in such a vulnerable way. But, you know what? Once I realized I needed to just do what God is asking of me, I can’t tell you how many doors God is already opening. These doors wouldn’t have opened if I wouldn’t have listened. I had to just have faith first.
God Wants You to See It’s Not Your Own Hand that Provides
“ And the Lord said to Gideon, “The people who are with you are too many for Me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel claim glory for itself against Me, saying, ‘My own hand has saved me.” (Judges 7:2NKJV) There’s a story in Judges that I was reading the other day. It’s a story that I have read quite a few times but this verse caught my attention this time. It takes place when the Israelites are so oppressed by the Midianites that they are hiding out in caves. They cried out to God and He sent them a prophet named Gideon.
Gideon is getting ready to march into battle against the Midianites with 32,000 soldiers. If you read the story, God whittles down the army to a mere 300 men. And then He says to Gideon, “ It happened on the same night that the Lord said to him, “Arise, go down against the camp, for I have delivered it into your hand” (Judges 7:9 NKJV). Gideon went with his 300 men and conquered the over 135,000 Midianite soldiers.
If you have sat down and looked at your finances and have thought to yourself, “There’s just no way we can afford for me to become a stay at home mom” then maybe God wants to you to see that it’s not by your own might that you pay the bills. If you faithfully rise up and face that army that appears as numerous as a plague of locusts (Judges 6:5), God will take the meager amount you make and make you victorious.
However, you first have to faithfully rise up before He can give you victory. He wants to show you how He is the one who provides.
The Goodness of the Lord
If you don’t know my story, my husband has been laid off 5 times in the past 9 years. Through it all, God has told me to continue being a stay at home mom. We have really seen the hand of God. It has not been by our own might that our bills have been paid but through God’s hand. When I start to doubt, I will go over all the times when we’ve seen God’s provision. He has always provided for us in the past, why would He stop now? When you face doubt, it’s good to remember where God has brought you from so that He can renew your strength to keep marching forward.
Remembering the goodness of the Lord in our lives always just blows my mind. Most of the time, when I start dwelling on it, I am a big ball of weepy, joyful mess. (And I will probably become a big ball of tears writing this!)
- At a time when we were in a severe financial drought, the insurance adjuster cut us a check for over 3 grand when we were expecting only 1k for my husband’s totaled car
- That same insurance adjuster gave us a check for 2k for “pain and suffering” (most of the time, it’s a few hundred)
- We have also gotten other checks for $1,000 and several for $2,000
- My husband got a check for lost wages of over $1,000 for a job he had 10 years prior
- My husband got paid nearly $2,000 for vacation time pay out for a job he got hired for but never actually started working
- The time when we won a gift card to a grocery store
- The time when a stranger bought my stuff at Target
- The time I already promised my neighbor’s kids they could have pizza night with us but I didn’t realize we didn’t have the money. I went to Costco to buy it anyway and the person in front of me bought my pizza for me
- The other time at Costco when someone paid for our pizza
- When my husband and I were talking on our way to church how I needed to get bibs for my daughter (during a time when just that $10 was a huge expense we’d have to save for) and we came home from church to find a bag of bibs on our door
- The time we had no idea where groceries would come from since we had no money left and our church got together and filled our car to the brim with groceries and diapers (we never asked for help…God just put it on their hearts to give)
- The time a stranger gifted us $500
- When a friend gave us money for Christmas and even more money for diapers and groceries
- The other time when someone gave us money for Christmas
- The time when someone rang our doorbell and dashed and I opened the door to find Christmas presents for our entire family on our front porch
- The time when we came home from visiting my parents to find that our neighbors had all gotten together and landscaped our front yard, decorated our front porch with outdoor furniture and decor, and put together a huge basket of food (with an Applebee’s gift card in it-such a treat!)
- The times I have found laundry soap, toilet paper, paper towels, diapers, and other essentials just left on our front step
- The many, many times we have discovered random checks in the mail
- When I prayed over my very sick dog because we didn’t have the money to take him to the vet and he woke up the next day perfectly fine
- The time I prayed for $55 to buy fabric so I could make my parents a rag quilt for Christmas and instead God provided $1,000
- When my friend earned an all-expenses-paid trip to Hawaii and decided to take me with her
- When I prayed for God to open up doors for me to earn $300 for spending money for that Hawaii trip and instead I earned over $2,000
Sign up below to get your very own FREE Goodness of the Lord Journal!
You guys, here I am a big bawl of tears! Our God is so good!! He won’t call you to quit your job and then abandon you. He will provide. His provision rarely comes in the forms we expect. You will get to see these things in your own life, too, if you just be obedient to His will for your life.
What You Can Take Away from All This
If you have been feeling like God is calling you to quit your job and become a stay at home mom, I know it can be incredibly scary. But, at the same time, I am super excited for you! It’s like how excited you get when someone gets pregnant because you know how awesome it is to be a parent and now they get to experience that. You have no idea all the amazing things God has for you on the other side of this, but I have walked through it. God is going to work in your life in such big ways!
All you have to do is have faith and say, “Ok, God! I am ready to listen!” and then sit back and watch what He does in your life.
If this is you, can you let me know below in the comments? I would love to pray for you as you start this journey! If you want to encourage others, please share this on Pinterest.